Vicor Daniels Fashion


Susy Oludele, The Hairstylist Who Has Worked With Solange, Beyoncé And More


Five years ago, Susy Oludele, the hairdresser also known as African Creature, was sitting in her living room fawning over Beyoncé’s flawless music video for “Party" – one of Queen Bey's most hairtastic music moments.  As fate would have it, just two months later, she got an email – Solange, who also featured in the "Party" video, wanted to get her hair done.

She hasn't slowed down since then. She did Solange's hair, then Zoe Kravitz’s hair, then Lala Anthony’s, and then Beyoncé’s. Today, her client list consists of top celebrities. Her work speaks for itself; a quick scroll through her Instagram feed will conjure up some serious hair envy – her page is rife with some of the most beautifully made hair you'll probably ever see.


(Photo: Susy Oludele)
In an interview with OkayAfrica, Susy reveals that she had always wanted to be famous:

“When I was nine years old, I thought to myself, ‘I’m gonna be famous, but, I don’t want to be famous for just anything. I want to give the world something that the world doesn’t have already. I want people to see me and know that, ‘Oh, that’s that girl that made a difference in our generation.’ So, I always wanted to be famous with meaning.”
Born to Nigerian parents living in America, Susy thinks that her multi-cultural upbringing is a contributing factor to her success today:

“I’m telling you, being African, honestly, I’m glad. I’m actually glad I had that strength and that strictness in my family because that pushed me to want to do more.

I feel like the most important thing that you have to have is confidence, like being confident in your work. I know that I’m the best. I know because I love people. Some people blow you off and make you wonder why you’re doing what you do.

But, I love people. I love what I do. Even if you’re not a good person, I’m still gonna make sure your hair looks good. You know what I mean? This is what I love to do, at the end of the day. I’m not just doing it to be famous. This is love thing.”
She mostly works out of her Brooklyn-based salon, Hair by Susy, everyday firmly believing that all the motivational insight anyone really needs, is already bubbling within.

Post a Comment

Author Name

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *

Powered by Blogger.